The new terminal at Rostock-Laage Airport was ceremonially opened and commissioned on September 9, 2005. The modern building has a floor area of 90 x 60 metres and is designed to handle up to one million international passengers annually. Two bridges connect the terminal with the aircraft directly, another five remote boarding locations are also available.
The terminal was designed to conform with IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulations and the ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) manual. The naming of the new terminal Hans Joachim Pabst von Ohain recalles the pages of aviation history written at Rostock.
Hans Joachim Pabst von Ohain was born at Dessau on December 14, 1911. At age twenty he was enthusiastic to develop a new kind of aircraft engine, the turbo-jet, consiting of compressor, combustion chamber, turbine and thrust-jet. After reading thermodynamics and aerodynamics at Göttingen University, he set about building the engine, paid for out of his own pocket until Ernst Heinkel saw his potential and employed him in the Heinkel Works at Rostock. Here von Ohain realized his ideas as Head of Development. His He-S3-B turbojet powered the Heinkel He 178 for the world's first jet flight at Rostock on 27 August 1939 piloted by Flight Captain Erich Warsitz.
This flight ushered in the Jet-Age. In May 2005 a full-scale aluminium replica of the aircraft was hung in the new terminal at Rostock airport. The model has a wingspan of 7.2 metres, is 7.48 metres long and weighs a metric ton. The replica is an attraction for passengers and remembers Rostock's role in aviation history. Von Ohain's inventions revolutionized aeronautics.
He continued his career in jet engine development for Heinkel until 1945. Two years later he was recruited under Operation Overcast to join many other top rank German engineers with military-technical experience in the United States. He worked initially for the USAF on its jet-engine programme. In 1956 he was appointed Director at the USAF Aeronautical Research Laboratory and rose to Chief of Development at the Aeronautical Propulsion Laboratory in 1975. He died at Melbourne, Florida, on March 13, 1998.